Meet the Smithers
- DAN & RACHEL SMITHER
- Founders, Executive Director and Music Director
In 2007, after ministering to thousands of inner-city children for more than ten years with The Power Company Kids Club (Pontiac, MI), Dan and Rachel founded Key of Hope. Dan has a bachelor’s degree in theology from William Tyndale College, and Rachel studied music theory at Oakland University. They have been married since 1995, and have four beautiful daughters.
Meet the Gobas
- SIYANDA & THEMBILE GOBA
- Program Director and Hope Fund Director
Born and raised in Durban, Siyanda manages our programs that happen through out the week. He oversees our programs and 3 of our home visit areas. Working here alongside her husband, Thembile manages our Hope Fund. She and her husband have a family of 3 boys at home.
- BRIDGET SHANGE
- Senior Bookkeeper
- After several encounters with Key of Hope where she lived, Bridget came on staff with us and works in the financial department. She graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting at the University of Zululand and also has her Postgraduate Certificate in Accounting with the University of Johannesburg. Her work experience ranges from a small audit firm to one of South Africa's top banks.
- CAZILE MHLOPE
- Administrative Assistant
Cazile was born and raised in Durban and lives with her granny and eight other siblings. She began attending Key of Hope when she was 12 years old. In 2017 she became an intern and is now currently working as a staff member assisting in the Hope Fund Department, which includes registering children in school, buying and distributing food parcels, and stationery.
- DEANZA BONZELAAR
- US Administrator
DeAnza started in February of 2018. DeAnza graduated from the University of Michigan with a bachelor's degree in English, and she now helps Key of Hope with administrative duties on the US side as well as content creation.
- HANNAH GIRARD
- Administrative Assistant
Hannah joined staff in 2016 after coming to Durban for 2 short term mission trips. She first heard of Key of Hope when the choir performed at Grand Valley, which is where she was studying and graduated with a degree in Health Sciences and a minor in Psychology.
- HLENGIWE ZONDI
Hlengiwe grew up in Greytown and moved to Durban in 2015. She soon joined our staff to help keep the offices clean. She works here with her husband, Nhlakanipho. They have 1 beautiful daughter, and they also serve the church they attend.
- KHETHA MBOKAZI
Khetha started attending Key of Hope when he was 13 and has participated on 3 of our choir tours to the US. Now he is an intern and assists with making sure our kids are transported to programs, goes on home visits, helps with the grounds keeping, and is on the worship team for Youth Night.
- MTHOKOZISI MPANZA
- Married to his wife, Mbali, he enjoys serving God in his church and at Key of Hope. He tends to the grounds and assists on our weekly home visits.
- NHLAKANIPHO GOBA
- Programs Assistant
- Nhlaka has been assisting our program's director since 2016, making sure all our weekly programs run smoothly and are fun. When he is not at Key of Hope, he spends his time involved in his church, leading evangelism and helping in Sunday School.
- NKOSINATHI HADEBE
- Maintenance Supervisor
First hearing about Key of Hope in 2009, Nkosinathi joined staff a few years later. He oversees the grounds keeping staff. He also pastors a church with his wife and family.
- NOSIPHIWE FIKIZOLO
Nosiphiwe began studying financial accounting at Durban University of Technology. She found Key of Hope in 2017 and started volunteering and helping in any way she could, and she now helps us in the housekeeping department. She likes to spend her time at Key of Hope because she likes to meet new people and she loves children.
- PAM DUBS
- US Bookkeeper
Pam joined Key of Hope in February of 2016 to manage the bookkeeping in the U.S. as well as assist with office administration. She has been working in churches and non-profits as a bookkeeper since 1999.
- SABELO MTHEMBU
Sabelo started attending Kidz Klub when he was younger and has been with us ever since! During high school, he was on our official helper leadership team and then became an intern and now staff. He is also plays on Key of Hope men's soccer team.
- SANDISO GUMEDE
- Having grown up in the northern part of Kwazulu-Natal, Sandiso later moved to Durban and joined our groundskeeping team to ensure that Key of Hope is welcoming to all the children that attend our programs.
- Email Sandiso
- SLINDILE GAMBUSHE
- Transportation Coordinator
- Sli came to Durban in 2011 and shortly after started to come to Key of Hope's programs. Later she became an intern and then staff. She ensures that our children have transport to our programs and is on our worship team for Youth Night and assists in our various programs. She is working toward receiving her Bachelor's of Education to become a teacher one day.
- STHEMBISO MTHEMBU
- Program Driver
- Since 201, Sthembiso has been transporting our children and youth to all our programs throughout the week. He also transports our men's soccer team and drives for the public when he is not working at Key of Hope.
- WENDY JWARA
- Wendy started attending Key of Hope the first year Key of Hope was founded in 2008. As an intern, she assists with our Family Rights, home visits, and other programs. She enjoys helping to teach in one of our Hope Academy classes.
- ZAMANGUNI GUMEDE
- Zama grew up in Ndwedwe, just outside of Durban. She enjoys cooking and cleaning and blesses the staff and children at Key of Hope in keeping our offices and hall clean.